When we first started homeschooling in Japan, I wanted to make sure that during our summer break, we also incorporate some learning in the things we did. I started a summer fun-learning plan. It has work well to keep learning during the summer, but still take a summer break to have fun. With summer approaching soon, I have made a 2015 summer fun learning plan.
We have moved back to the United States, which means A LOT of new places to explore and learn about. I know the princess will be happy to be checking out new museums and zoos this summer. Majority of this list will be summer learning fun activities in Tennessee.
The places in italics offer a military discount. Please remember to check their website or call ahead to make sure a discount is still given, as well as to see who the discount applies to. Discounts are subject to change. Some of the places give discount/free admission to the active duty member only.
Things to learn about during Summer Learning Fun:
- Museums (art, history, science, etc.)
- Making crafts
- Animals at the zoo
- Fish at the aquarium
Places we will go for learning during Summer Learning Fun (I am sure the list will throughout the summer):
- Memphis Zoo – Discounted general admission tickets are available by contacting the Millington Naval Base (901.874.5455), Little Rock Air Force Base (501.987.5105), the Fort Campbell Army Base (270.798.7436) and Columbus, Miss., Air Force Base (662.434.7861).
- Children’s Museum of Memphis
- National Civil Rights Museum – Active military members with ID may visit the museum for free.
- Memphis Brooks Museum of Art – Memphis Brooks Museum of Art offers free entry for all active duty, National Guard and Reserve military personnel and their families from Memorial Day to Labor Day, 2014. For more information on the program and what identification is needed, please check out the Blue Star Museums website.
- Pink Palace Museum
- Coon Creek Science Center
- Lichterman Nature Center
- Dixon Gallery and Gardens
- Center for Southern Folklore
- University of Memphis Art Museum
- Alex Haley House and Museum
- American Museum of Science and Energy – FREE. All active duty, National Guard & Reserve military personnel and their families via Blue Star Museums from Memorial Day through Labor Day. For more information on the program and what identification is needed, please check out the Blue Star Museums website.
- Belz Museum of Asian and Judaic Art
- Chattanooga History Center
- Chattanooga Model Railroad Museum
- Children’s Museum of Oak Ridge
- Cookeville Depot Museum
- Cookeville History Museum
- The Cotton Museum
- Discovery Center at Murfree Spring
- Discovery Museum of West Tennessee
- Discovery Park of America
- Fire Museum of Memphis
- Nashville Zoo at Grassmere – Nashvill Zoo offers $1 off admission for military personnel and everyone in their party when they present their military ID.
- Tennessee Museum of Aviation
- Tennessee River Museum
- Tennessee State Museum
- Tennessee Aquarium
What are your plans for this summer? Please comment and share your ideas on how to make summer fun, but still encourage learning.
Homeschooling families – Do you homeschool year round or take a summer break?